Why the Heck Should I Become a Benefit Corporation in 2019?
It’s a new year and you have been hearing things about this new business model. It’s called a Benefit Corporation.
Are you are intrigued?
It’s based on the principles of the triple bottom line of People Planet and Profit. Perhaps your business already practices some of the principles.
But is it right for you and your business?
Below are a series of questions to help you understand if you are a good candidate for moving forward and becoming a Benefit Corporation. Some of these questions may not be applicable if you are just starting out with no or few employees, but the goal is to understand the values you INTEND to practice – creating a work culture that is aligned with the Benefit Corporation philosophy.
1. Do you/your employees talk about how you can serve the community?
2. Do you/your employees frequently talk about recycling, biking, and other “green” stuff?
3. Do you have a compelling vision statement or better yet a manifesto statement?
4. If you have employees, do you give them a few extra perks to show you value them?
5. Do you have, or do you intend to have, a fairly diverse workforce?
6. Do you want to help create healthy communities for ALL?
7. Do you think about workforce values like authenticity, humility, and equity?
8. Do you/your team collaborate regularly, or is work based around more individual stars?
9. Do you have, or do you intend to have Millennials working for your company?
10. Does your brand need a more emotional and uplifting message?
11. Do you have a policy or practice that supports you and your employees doing community work?
12. Do you want to make a difference?
The more questions you answered “yes” to, the closer you are to the values of a Benefit Company. It is about aligning your values and your employee’s values with purpose.
Isn’t that why we want to get up every morning? To feel we are part of something bigger than ourselves. It is all summed up in the last question: Do you want to make a difference?